There are many laws regulating the sale of firearms at both the state and national level. As many of you know, with the 2013 Firearm Safety Act there have been many changes in how and what you can buy as a Maryland resident.

Our staff will guide you through the necessary paperwork and discuss with you the process and possible problems involved in your purchase. In Maryland, there are two broad categories of firearms: Regulated and Non-Regulated.


Most shotguns and bolt action rifles are not regulated by the state of Maryland. By national law one must be at least 18 years old and pass a NICS background check, made by phone. A single form is completed and a copy of a valid Maryland issued ID card or Drivers License is kept on file.


Currently all handguns are regulated by the state. Our staff can guide you through the process of purchasing a regulated firearm when you visit the shop.
Purchasers need to meet one of a few requirements before making the purchase. If you aren’t a current or retired LEO member of the Armed Forces, you will need to get a Handgun Qualification License. You can begin the signup on the Maryland State Police website.


Duffy’s must be notified of all transfers before they are sent. We will send our FFL to any other FFL holder, but we must be provided with an e-mail address or fax number.
You can do that by phone 410-771-4398 or e-mail

  • Our standard transfer fee for regulated firearms is $100. Multiples papered at the same time receive a discount.
  • Our standard transfer rate for non-regulated firearms is $50 ($55 if you’re paying with credit/debit card). Multiples papered at the same time receive a discount.
  • Magazines that hold more than 10 rounds will have to be blocked or shipped out of Maryland. There is a $10 service fee per magazine for blocking or $10 to $15 to ship them out of state. Magazines are blocked to hold 10 rounds or less. Due to variance in magazines, there is no guarantee how many rounds the repaired magazine will hold. Certain uncommon magazines may cost more, depending on certain factors.
  • NFA items or transfers of more than 3 items at a time must call first to arrange price.

We generally need one business day to have guns logged in and ready for paperwork. If you have a tracking number and see your package has arrived, please come in the next business day.
If you have any questions or need clarification, please send an email.

Please note:

1. All pistols manufactured after 2002 and sold as new require an internal safety lock or built in lock. If you do not have the appropriate caliber Omega style lock, you can purchase one from us for $35.

2. Regulated firearms, special orders and transfers not delivered after purchase because of customer request or denial of background check will result in $150 cancellation fee. Non-regulated firearms in stock not delivered because of customer request or denial of background check will result in $50 cancellation fee.

Recent Posts

Q&A Wednesday: May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee…

May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee (FFL holder), or must I have a licensee in my State ship it to him? May the licensee return the firearm to me, even if the shipment is across State lines?

Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns are not mailable through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via common or contract carrier.(18 U.S.C. §§ 1715). Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. FFLs may also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received. 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A).

  1. Q&A Wednesday: May I lawfully transfer a firearm to a friend who resides in a different State? Leave a reply